How do you make a white fruit cake?
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line bottoms of four greased 9×5-in.
- In a small bowl, toss candied fruit, raisins and walnuts with 1/2 cup flour. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
What is the difference between a light fruit cake and a dark fruit cake?
DARK VS. Dark fruitcake includes molasses and brown sugar, black fruits like currants, and dark liquors. Often meant to be eaten before they’ve aged, light cakes (like the one shown) are made with granulated sugar or light corn syrup, and golden and yellow fruits, with or without light liquors.
How do you make a fruit cake taste better?
After some research to reassure myself that all I needed to do was literally soak the cake in spirits, I followed these steps:
- Place cake onto foil wrap.
- Poke holes in cake with toothpick.
- Brush top and sides of cake with alcohol.
- Close up the foil around the cake.
- Brush with more alcohol weekly and recover.
Why does my fruit cake crumble when I cut it?
Dense cakes result from flours with a high protein content and from using too much flour in the dough. If your cake falls apart when cutting and you used all-purpose flour in your recipe, the high gluten content is why you have a cake that’s moist but crumbly.
Can I use white rum instead of dark rum?
The simple answer is yes, but there are a few stipulations. Most recipes can be modified by changing the measurements to use dark rum instead of light rum. Because dark rum is typically stronger and more potent than light rum, the proportions will need to be adjusted accordingly.
How long do you soak fruit in alcohol for Christmas cake?
The first step of making the Rich Christmas Fruit Cake requires soaking of the fruits in alcohol. Soaking the dried fruits for a minimum of 2-3 months is recommended for a rich Fruit Cake.